Monday, August 28, 2006

I'm Back!

After a somewhat gruelling 30+ hour journey back from Chicago, I finally made it to Tassie yesterday afternoon. I could tell I was back. It wasn't the bracing wind as I crossed the tarmac, or the car regos. No, it was the sight of dogs running loose in a "leash only" area, as we descended into Hobart. I was definitely back home. Hopefully, when my body has recovered, I'll be posting more local content. I can't really wait to try out my new purchase--A Sony A100 digital SLR camera, although I doubt whether you'll notice any difference! To those whom I haven't adequately replied to in the last few weeks, my apologies. It's not quite so easy when your using webmail and someone else's computer. Anyway, bottom line, I'm back and looking forward to your contribution. It's an exciting time of year in the local bird scene.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Alan,
Now we'll expect to see some REALLY superb shots, as opposed to your just 'superb' ones!

BirdingTas said...

Thanks John. Shortly after I posted the blog, I realised I might be making a rod for my own back!! The reality is that it takes a while to work up a new camera to get the optimum out of it, and it can be rather frustrating--the expectation is often greater than the reality.

Anonymous said...

But I'm sure you'll have lots of fun experimenting!

Ah! One day the price of digital SLR's will come done enough....

We're off birding today, to see what we can see in the wind.

Anonymous said...

John, you can get a digital SLR with standard lens for less than $800 now, they're not going to come down much more :-)

Murray

Anonymous said...

Thanks Murray,
I shall have to have another look around. Need some new 'cheap' binos at present. My current 'knockabout'/bushwalking ones have got bumped out of alignment.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Alan,

I'll be interested to hear how you find the new Sony, it looks like a very nice camera.

Felix Wilson

BirdingTas said...

Hi Felix, Well the pix I've blogged since returning from the US were taken on the Sony.I think that I'm slowly beginning to realise that what I really need is a new pair of eyes and a new body! I'm finding it increasingly difficult to hold cameras (with telephoto lens attached) still (arthritis), and my eyes aren't what they were!! The Sony seems fine so far, may take me a while to get the best out of it.