Sunday, August 12, 2007

"Ring In"......Common Pheasant

In recent weeks I seem to have come across several Common Pheasant, sometimes called Ring-necked Pheasant, in my wandering around southern Tasmania. The most recent sightings were at Copping, on the road to Marion Bay, of two males, one pictured here. They are of course an introduced species, and those that I've seen around Copping and Forcett, are possibly escapees from the nearby game farm.
The only places that I am aware of feral populations in Tasmania, are on King and Flinders Islands, the former hosting a short, annual shooting season. But if the numbers that I've seen around the area South of Sorell are any indication, a feral population may already exist here too. However, as they are ground nesting, I suspect they're always going to struggle to successfully breed.
Although the male is a handsome looking bird, as with other introduced species, I don't see them as a positive addition to our bird fauna. They do however have one redeeming quality, they're magnificent roasted! Ive always considered roast pheasant with all the trimmings, to be among my most memorable meals--not to mention cold pheasant for breakfast the following morning. I still occasionally partake of pheasant, bought, of course, from my local butcher,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alan,
We had heard of pheasants turning up around Copping. It seems as though they may be getting established there. You did well to get the pics (I was going to type 'shots', but after talking about hunting seasons, etc. thought better of it)! We saw lots on King Island a few years back, but found them very wary to photograph - maybe because of their experience of the June hunting season!

meika said...

I've seen pheasants at on the Bream Creek Rd (just before the dirt down to Marion Bay) occasionally for the last three years or so, I drive that way quite a lot, and feel they have become established too.

Anonymous said...

hello, we don't know much about birds and came looking for info here. One morning recently a large pheasant shaped/sized bird thudded onto our roof in Forth- there has been a lot of clearing going on in the bush over the road and the refugees are moving into our garden - not sure yet if this is good or bad - i digress. Anyway the BIG bird was a gogreous golden colour with dark markings all over accenting it and the long tail - lovely as a phoenix! If it wasn't an exotic pheasant of some sort and it doesn't look like this photo what could it have been?

BirdingTas said...

From your description, I would guess that it probably is an exotic pheasant. There are a number that are often kept in captivity, so it may be an escapee. The females of both Lady Amherst's Pheasant or Golden Pheasant are possible candidates. Had you considered that it might have been a female Ring-necked? Photos of all these may be found on the internet. Will be interested to know what it was.

Anonymous said...

Just saw one of these birds wondering around on the roadside in north east tasmania between winnaleah and tommahawk.

Bb said...

I just took a photo of one in my back yard, Prospect , northern tas.